Thursday, January 28, 2010

Free to Speak

It is all too true

Deaf and mute I cannot be

I am also blind…

I am blind because I only see black and white

Even the rainbow is so-

I know I was not born deaf but became it when my friends kept calling me “nigga”- my skin complexion is brown, I am Latina.

And I became mute when I was lynched by my lover and lost my voice- I am a woman and my opinion did not matter.

Martin Luther King: I have a dream…

that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal-

I want women to do what men can do,

I want women to be equal-because a woman is what I am.

I have a dream…

But I cannot dream it alone

Why must I be called “colored” when white is a color too

Don’t pity me because of where I come from or what you think I’ve been through

Remember I am human first- just like you.

My hair is not blonde- I would never change it so,

My eyes are not blue and my lips are not small--yet STILL-

Dr. Martin Luther King is proud

Malcolm X is proud

President Obama is proud—

Most importantly:

I stand proud of who I am.

-Butta Love, the provocative verbalist